2014. június 1., vasárnap

Winter in Europe: Am I making a mistake? (Other questions at bottom of post)


Unfortunately, my [F, 25] job means I'm restricted to travelling in Australia's summer holidays (Dec 13-Jan 20). I'm strongly considering booking flights to Europe for 2014's northern hemisphere winter, but after hours and hours of internet research which resulted in very mixed reviews, I'd love (and thoroughly appreciate!) some personal advice/stories/suggestions.


Cold: Not particularly an issue since the polar vortex followed me through the US earlier this year.


Specific countries: UK, Norway, Poland, Italy, Czech Republic, Portugal, Austria (In order of must see to eh, if I have time.)


Things I'd like to see/Interests: Mainly museums, art galleries, architecture, markets, food etc.

I'm a little literature/music/history nerdy, thus am aiming to incorporate this into my trip (also a nice tax break :D )


Budget: $8000. Will probably use AirBnB mostly and will be travelling at least part of the above trip with a friend. We aim to fly, take buses/trains, and drive.


Baggage: Would love to try carry-on only (probably an Osprey 46L).


So, questions:

* Will many non-tourist-trap places close for the winter?

* Are there things I must see in the above countries?

* Will carry-on-only be near impossible in winter?

* Clothing advice? (I'll be coming from 35C)

* Other info I should know?


Any and all advice is genuinely appreciated!