2014. június 30., hétfő

I know it's possible, but is it feasible: hopping around SEA by private boat.


Last time I was in SEA I was on a trip out to some more remote islands. We'd stopped for lunch on a beach when a group of guys basically just pulled up on a very small sailboat and swam in. First thought was "Well fuck, that looks like way more fun."


Here's what I've got so far in terms of "barriers to entry" on doing this:



  • buying a sailboat in SEA (no idea what this would cost)

  • learning to sail (obviously)

  • visas (how does this even work? I've only ever come into a country by air, excluding EU countries where it didn't matter)

  • docking legally and not hitting coral or something like a d-bag


Anyone know how much... oompf....(boat-wise) is needed to hop between, say, Thailand, Malaysia, and Indonesia? (at their closest point) What would that set me back? How would I get rid of it when I was done?


How much more oompf to cross the Gulf of Thailand or the Java Sea and have access to the rest of SEA?