2014. július 27., vasárnap

r/travel, I need your wisdom and experience with US Customs and alcohol duty for my flight tomorrow please!


Apologies in advance if this is a silly question or the wrong forum, I'm in the process of gaining US residency and a bit anxious about doing anything that could cause issues at my re-entry!


I'm a New Zealand citizen living in the US. I am flying from New Zealand to Texas, via Honolulu and LAX, with 2.25 litres and 2.5 litres respectively of mine and my husband's favourite kiwi wine and beers.


This is the first time I have flown to the US via Hawaii and as I have a long layover in Honolulu the airline confirmed this morning my bags will be checked right through to Texas. However, as I'm well over the US Customs duty-free limit I know I will have to declare and pay a few bucks of tax on my alcohol.


I'm slightly confused and concerned about going through Customs in Honolulu with items to declare in my bags that will apparently be checked through to TX. Will they need to see the bottles I am declaring? What if i can't present them because they are in my checked luggage? Or was the airline incorrect when they said my bags would be checked right through?


Has anyone in this sub brought alcohol back to the States that was over the duty free limit, did it cause any issues or delays at Customs for you? I've checked the allowances I can bring into my home state and I am within those, but as a fledgling American is there anything else I should be aware of with regards to alcohol importation?


Cheers!