2014. július 30., szerda

One-way ticket into Japan. Will they allow me in?


Hey /r/Travel,


So I was lucky enough to get in on the Priceline super pricing error allowing me to fly from JFK to Milan Italy, then from Prague to Tokyo all for $323. I'll be leaving in November, and have been working tirelessly trying to learn as much as I can to make sure this trip goes as smoothly as possible!


However, to my dismay, I found the other day that there's a distinct possibility that my airline may refuse to take me from Prague to Japan because I'm yet to purchase an return or onward ticket out of Japan. Apparently the country holds the airline responsible for anyone they bring into the country who does not meet guidelines set for tourists entrance.


My original plan was to stay there (less than 90 days of course) until I felt it was time to go. I'm yet to decide if I want to extend my trip into NZ, or possibly head back into Europe. I don't want to be forced to rush my decisions if I can help it. Unfortunately, it looks like that may not be the best option to go with.


I've read about people making reservations to take the ferry from Japan to Korea and then canceling it once they are safely within Japan. I've also read about people booking outward tickets with airlines that offer full refunds.


I will definitely look into these options, but I wanted to hear what you more experienced travelers had to say first. I'll be taking three different carriers on my way to Japan, but I believe the only one who holds my fate in their hands is KLM- Royal Dutch Airlines. They will be the ones taking me from Prague>Amsterdam>Tokyo.


So my question is, has anyone flown with this airline before? If so, have you ever done so with just a one-way ticket.


I've done quite a bit of research, but I can't seem to find any definitive information regarding their policy towards passengers with one-way tickets. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you for taking the time to read through this!