2014. július 27., vasárnap

Transatlantic Travel and Customs and checked baggage.


I'm flying to Atlanta from either Glasgow or Edinburgh on the 14th of August and I will be going with a changeover at either London Heathrow, Amsterdam Schipol, Newark New York, or Toronto - atleast they seem to be the most common ones.


I know that going via Newark I will have to retrieve all my baggage and pass customs before rechecking for the domestic flight, but I can't find any information about having to do the same at any of the other airports - I know I won't have to at London as I will not have passed customs yet - but Amsterdam and Toronto are the other options and I'm not sure which to go for.


The main reason being that I will likely have 2 or 3 checked bags and I would like to avoid lugging them around an airport if I don't have to and also I have been told that with that amount of stuff, and with my Student Visa that I am almost guaranteed to be pulled at US Customs and as such I would possibly miss my connecting flight.


TLDR:


Coming from the UK, will I have to collect my baggage to pass customs at a European or Canadian Airport before rechecking them for a flight into the US (all on the same ticket/booking)?