2014. május 28., szerda

Recent college graduate and clueless foreign traveler who wants to travel to Europe before entering the workforce. Thoughts appreciated!


Hi all,


As a recent college graduate, I have the month of June to travel, and would appreciate any thoughts on what to do or where to go. I may be traveling by myself, and--as I haven't studied abroad--I definitely want to hit all the major tourist sites, as well as truly get a feel for Europe.


Place: I'm fairly certain that I want to go to Europe, and would like to see Italy, Spain, and France (possibly Switzerland?). Not to be cliche, but I'd like to see stuff like Parisian streets, major Italian landmarks, etc.


Transportation: What's the easiest way to get around? I've started looking at the Eurail; is that the best option for someone like me who wants to see a few cities?


Lodging: I have no idea what hostels are like, and my gut says to stick to hotel rooms. Does anyone have any thoughts on lodging whatsoever, or where I would look for prime (cheap) hotels?


Timing: Perhaps I could make the trip 2-3 weeks, and spend 3-4 days each in major countries? Is this feasible?


Budget: I'd like for the trip to be on the cheaper side (not including airfare), but I don't know much about costs. Is a budget of $1000-1500 reasonable for what I'm looking forward to doing?


Again, if you can't tell...I'm kinda clueless here and would love some advice on any of these aspects. Thanks so much r/travel! I hope I provided enough information to help guide me.