2014. május 28., szerda

Visiting my girlfriend in Mexico for three weeks


Hi there /r/travel!


I'm going to visit my mexican girlfriend in Mexico for more than three weeks in June. It's going to be a bit of a culture clash honestly, I've never been out of Europe (I'm german). I'm looking for a bit of basic advice/experience about Mexico for the oblivious bloke I am.


Quick background story -- we've met in germany last autuum, and we had a great time. She was studying/working here for about a year, and had to leave in february. Yes, I know it's a virtually impossible distance (1/40th of the distance to the moon actually). I'm not looking for relationship advice, and I honestly don't know where we're headed together, but I want us to have a great time, obviously. I should probably mention I'm not speaking spanish, we're always using english.


Now, I know about Mexico being a traditional place with rather catholic, conservative morals for relationships and families, with very tight bonds between family members and regular gatherings. She's living with her parents in Mexico City (we're both in our mid-20s) and it seems they are quite open-minded, inviting me to stay at their house, altough in a seperate bedroom - at least for the few days we're going to spend at their parents'. We're probably going to meet lots of her family and friends there, and of course everybody knows about the german boyfriend by now...


For the actual travelling part -- we plan to visit Oxaca, Cancun and Acapulco within two weeks (the details are with her). I'm fairly excited about everything (as is she) and would just like to know if there are any important or mundane things I should consider in preperation for visiting Mexico. Perhaps even surprise her with knowledge about places to visit or things to do. The hardest part (literally) will be to keep my hands off her in her parents place, and I truly want to respect that, but it has been months. So yeah, I'm looking forward to us being abroad together, and if I can throw some insider knowledge in the mix, it would be really nice I think.


Gruß aus Berlin!