2014. május 30., péntek

Need advice from someone experienced with world travel


I've been going back and forth for over a month. Have done a ton of research, but I think I am overwhelmed and I would like some advice from someone with lots of life and travel experience.


My situation: I am unskilled/unemployed (I do have a certain type of engineering degree, but I want to be an entrepreneur, not related to that field, so I say unskilled). I am 32. I have 1.2 million dollars in reserves from working for 11 years (also worked internships during college, and went to college on a big academic scholarship so most was payed for).


I can fly for free (standby) anywhere that american airlines can fly (I am based in DFW).


I am torn because most of all, I want to be an entrepreneur of some sort, and so I don't get excited about travel because I feel like I should be figuring out how to start a business and make money, since I am unemployed (I quit my job, I was not fired, I was actually highly esteemed and promoted within my company, it just wasn't what I wanted to do).


I am wondering about maybe flying into Zurich or Madrid or London (they have a nonstop from dfw), but it seems like traveling around Europe can get pretty expensive. I know places like Milan and Amsterdam are fun to see, but I don't even know how much fun I am going to have because I'm going to be worried about what I am doing with my life the whole time.


Maybe I should forget about making a living for a couple months and just go travel and enjoy myself.


I am wondering if maybe part of my drive has to do with my parent's expectations of me, and maybe that is not my expectation, and I need to find that out. Maybe travel will help me get away from their reach, and help me figure things out on my own. I am not sure.


I feel so god damn confused right now, I have no one sane to talk to. I don't know what to do for my next step, I don't know what is happening with my life. I feel so overwhelmed, I am shaking while I am writing this.


Which should be ridiculous because hey, I've got over a million dollars and I am only 32, I should feel good, right? But I am scared that if I don't figure out a way to make more money that I'm just going to burn through this money, and then I will have to go back to my job, and quite honestly, I'm pretty sure I would rather be homeless. And that's not a situation I would want to be in either.


Someone help me, please.