2014. május 28., szerda

r/travel, help me squeeze out the best out of three weeks in Peru!


You guys helped me a lot 18 months ago when I went to Cambodia and Vietnam. This time I'm tackling Peru and I want to squeeze to best of it. Here are some infos:



  • Three weeks, starting probably from September 29th to October 19th

  • I can stay free in Lima; a family friend has a place there and might come in Peru at the same time as I am, so spending the first few days with a real Peruvian to learn about the place and customs might be a good start.

  • Budget is about 2000 USD excluding tickets. I do not need extra premium rooms but tourist-friendly accommodations are still nice.


The plan right now:



  1. Lima (The city, Pachacamac)

  2. Ica (Nasca, Tambo Colorado, Huchachina)

  3. Arequipa (Salt Lake, Colca Canyon, Misti Volcano, Laguna de Salinas)

  4. Cuzco (Macchu Pichu)

  5. Flight back to Lima for flight home (Montreal)


General questions:



  1. Anything I need to book really far ahead or in October I can pretty much show up on the same day all the time?

  2. How easy is it to go around if I speak pretty much only english?

  3. How much do you usually tip a private tour guide if you're alone?

  4. Any tourist traps / kind of crafty beggars I should be aware of?


My previous trip would've been much more boring without reddit to guide me and I hope I'll be just as lucky to have r/travel's help this time. Please help me make this memorable!


Many MANY thanks in advance :)