2014. május 29., csütörtök

East coast! First US trip! 8 days starting/ending in Boston! What to do?!


So I'm off to the US in a couple of weeks on what originally started purely as a business trip, but thanks to some good luck/blagging now includes 8 days free time! Particularly nice as it includes my birthday :)


I land in Boston at midday on June 15th (Sunday) and essentially have until the 23rd (Monday) to do whatever I like before making my way back to MA to meet my colleagues.


I'm not too worried about spending much time in Boston as - although I do want to see it - I'll no doubt be spending time there with work buddies. However, I definitely want to spend some time in NYC - where I've doubt I'll succumb and do the standard statue of liberty/empire state building/times square stuff. Apart from that maybe a little time in Philly (where I'll inevitably run up some stairs) or DC, but really don't have an itinerary.


I'm pretty well travelled, and whilst I expect I'll stay at hostels for a night or two I really don't want to spend the whole time getting drunk exclusively with other travellers in cliched touristy bars. (Drinking with locals in not so touristy bars is probably fine though!) When not at hostels I'm thinking about airbnb or potentially couchsurfing, although I may treat myself to a nice hotel on my birthday itself...


I love live music (rock/prog/metal blues), guitar stores, being in awe of nature, watching the sun set/rise over cool landscapes, meeting new people (obvious?!), geeky musings, fantasy books, self-deprecating humour, holding hands on the beach....meh I'm rambling now. Not quite so hot on shopping, sports, and most museums (would rather see history around me in real life than behind a glass cabinet).


Any...any ideas?