2014. május 31., szombat

I'm 21 and can fly nearly anywhere for free on standby. Where should I go?


I am in a very fortunate position in that I can fly to most places for free. I have a friend who works for an airline that flies to six continents, and worst case scenario, I can fly to other destinations on other airlines in the alliance for 10% of the posted fare.


The catch, of course, is that I have to find an open seat and there is a risk that I might not make it on a departure or return flight. But that's happened before and I am well aware of the risks, and plan accordingly.


About me: I'm 21, as mentioned. I'm interning right now and have quite a bit of flexibility in terms of taking time off work. I can probably take two weeks off without any problem. I can't say that I have a preference for English-speaking countries, or any particular type of climate. I'm not the type to hit the clubs every night but I think I would be remiss if I went somewhere without many clubs, bars, etc. I think it might also be important to note that I am gay, and while I don't plan on engaging in any sodomy while abroad, I would probably prefer to avoid countries like Bahrain and Saudi Arabia.


Where I've been: I went to western Europe last summer and loved it. I spent time in Amsterdam, Paris, Milan, Florence and Rome. I think Paris and Amsterdam were my favorite of the two. Last November I went to Beijing to see a friend, and that was actually pretty fun too. The dynamic was admittedly different, because I had a friend who is studying Chinese and was able to take me places, show me sights, etc.


Idea locations: Over the past couple of weeks I have been narrowing in on South Africa and Australia. Both of them would have a lot to offer in that I've been to neither continent, nor have I been to the southern hemisphere. The only concern I have is how much I can see on a limited budget. In Europe it seemed like I was always only a few hours away from another beautiful city that offered a lot to do. In Australia, for instance, I could fly into Sydney but I don't know what I could do from there. Trying to buy plane tickets to NZ, Melbourne, or anywhere else on short notice would be prohibitively expensive. South Africa would be slightly better because I could take a train to Durban, Cape Town, etc.


TL;DR: I don't have a fraction of the experience that all of you do traveling. I've been to China and western Europe and loved both. I'm not opposed to going back to either but I think I would be better served going somewhere completely new. Please tell me what you would do and where you would go if you were in my position. Thank you!