2014. május 29., csütörtök

Girlfriend and I deciding to live in either Europe, NYC, or Beijing...thoughts, insight?


Okay, okay, I realize that just saying Europe is really vague so let me clarify. My girlfriend is Austrian and I'm American so we're debating on her moving here to NYC where I currently live and work or me moving to wherever she finds a job in Europe - she just graduated. She's been doing internships - one in Berlin (where we met), London, and NYC - along with having worked in the past so she's quite qualified and will surely find something soon.


Now, for here coming to the states is a bit more of a process along with being much more expensive. My dad's German so me going to Europe is much, much easier. She's actually already got a job offer in London but is really shooting for Amsterdam which is the city I'd hope for as well. We're both a bit worried about the fact neither of us speak Dutch though.


NYC seems more exciting to her but I feel we'd have a better quality of life in Europe?


Now the Beijing thing, she's wanting to travel Asia for a few months and while she's doing that I've thought about taking a 6 month contract to teach English in Beijing. I'd get paid pretty well and my apartment there would be free - could be a nice thing to do before moving to Europe if that's what we do. I've lived abroad before but it's really hard to get insight on China - haven't been to the mainland and don't personally know anyone who has either. I'm really wondering how life for me in Beijing would be teaching English.


Also, I should say that I'm 25 and she's 23 just for reference.


Can anyone chime in on this? Maybe someone who's actually lived in Beijing, NYC, and one of the European cities mentioned? Tips, advice, or insight? Thanks!