2014. május 26., hétfő

Colombia or Japan?


Odd choice, I know.


Traveling SE Asia right now, and I have a chance to either end my trip with a month in Colombia, or two weeks in Japan.


They're so different, I honestly can't figure out how to start making this decision. It's driving me mad, so I thought is try to outsource this dilemma to anyone who could help.


I've wanted to go to each of these cities for different reasons. I've always loved Japanese culture, and grew up on anime, JRPGs, and Japanese music.


On the other hand, I really identify with South American culture, but only traveled to Argentina before. If I went here I'd stay in Medellin the whole time to take a Spanish immersion course (I'm at an intermediate level). I'd have the chance to make lasting friendships due to the length of time in one place and less of a language barrier than Japan.


Not necessarily asking to make a choice, but how would you try to make a decision like this?


Come away from this backpacking trip with some better Spanish skills as well as a chance to really live in another city. Or take advantage of being here in Asia and finally go to Japan?


Any thoughts?