Quick background- student, one last semester this fall. Haven't found a summer job, would really like to volunteer in central america. Would love health exposure (biology student that wants to go back to nursing), but don't have any skills so understand if that's impossible. Open to anything though- farming, teaching/tutoring, manual labor. I do have 2 years of university spanish, I'd say I'm intermediate.
I have googled this and researched places, but the reason why I'm asking here is I don't like the idea of those big volunteer companies. I honestly don't want to pay a huge fee to volunteer. I worked in Cambodia last summer with a center that didn't charge volunteers a fee and it was a great place. But you wouldn't find it from google easily (let me know if you'd like the name if you'll be going to Siem Reap). That's what I'm really asking, does anyone know some smaller, local organizations open to volunteers? I don't expect them to set me up with tours and stuff, I'd just like to help out a bit/interact with locals while seeing a new place.
I wouldn't mind paying a small fee though, I do understand that. I think I'd probably be able to go for about a month, and would be open to something like $50/week. Of course, I'm expecting to pay for my own transport, housing, food, all expenses, unless they have some sort of offer of that stuff (and it's not ridiculously expensive).
TL;DR: Looking for smaller, more open organization to volunteer at. One without or with low fees. Fine with any type of work, especially excited for some health exposure but have no medical background.