2014. június 18., szerda

Suitcases: where do you buy yours? hard-shell or fabric?


I apologize for the triviality--I don't really think this is deserving of its own post, but I couldn't find a 'simple questions' thread to post in.


I'm going out-of-state for a month (6-hr flight), then promptly afterwards I'm leaving the country for a year (~20 hrs flying, not including the overnight layover). I've always had fabric suitcases in the past, but my new suitcase last year barely survived the ~30hrs from departure to destination. I'm looking for something durable, preferably something that can fit as much as humanly possible (i.e. without exceeding the 50lb/62" max). Hard shell suitcases seem attractive to me because of the sturdier protection, and more rigid shape (less likely to over-stuff).


Are hard shell suitcases any sturdier than fabric ones? Are there any common signs of a cheap/poorly constructed bag that may likely break? I must have spent over an hour looking through different suitcases at a couple different stores, but I really didn't know what to look for. I ended up getting a 28" ABS plastic Samsonite bag at Marshall's, which I suspect must be an outlet-only model. The plastic feels pretty flimsy, but I really have nothing to compare it to (everything else in the store seemed as cheesy or cheesier).


Since I'm already spending so much on the flights and accommodation, I'm a little loathe to spending more than ~$120 on luggage. I don't travel enough that some $300 suitcase from the Container Store would be worth it. Are outlet/discount stores like TJ Maxx/Marshall's even worth bothering with, or should I stick to luggage-only shops? Where do you buy your luggage, and what type?




(managed to find the same suitcase on ebay; this is the front, this is the interior; it has a zip closure instead of a snap lock mechanism; the plastic basically looks/feels like a milk jug except thicker).